As the COVID-19 crisis started, we have already reached several conclusions. We need to guarantee a number of specialists in the medical fields – well paid medical workers. And the system should be well equipped so we need to buy additional equipment and protective clothing, gloves, masks.
This is the reason why an additional financial resource of BGN 250 million will enter the Bulgarian healthcare system by the end of 2020:
- There will be a 30% increase in the salaries of medical workers on the first line in the fight against COVID-19 from August 1 until the end of the year. This will reflect on 6,000 people. The measure will cost BGN 12.4 million.
- There will be an increase in the funds for state hospitals – BGN 11.3 million will be allocated: 9.3 million will be for 44 hospitals with structures treating patients with infectious diseases, including COVID- 19;
- BGN 19 million will be allocated for 70 municipal hospitals by the end of the year;
- the NHIF will allocate an additional sum of BGN 126 million – the amount will increase all activities related to the treatment of patients in medical institutions by 10% - this will increase the incomes in over 350 hospitals followed by an increase of the salaries of 17 thousand doctors and 44 other medical workers and over 10 thousand non-medical workers;
- All workers on the first line were given BGN 1000 monthly over their salary – this will happen until the end of 2020 which will cost the state another BGN 107 million; doctors on the first line in the fight with COVID-19 will also receive travel vouchers in the amount of BGN 210 for up to 7 nights in the state tourism system;
- Up to now the Ministry of Health has bought 317 respiratory resuscitation devices for the university and state hospitals. Another 133 pieces of this equipment will be provided additionally for the municipal sites.